Friday, March 14, 2008

Study Shows Vigorous Activity Linked to Good Grades


The American College of Sports Medicine performed a study on 214 middle school students. The students were randomly assigned to a PE Course in the first or second semester. There was a marked improvement in grades among the most active students. The study recommended PE classes include at least 20 minutes of vigorous activity three times a week. The study's lead author said physical education and activity during the school day may reduce boredom and help keep kids attention in the classroom. The study included activities such as soccer, football, and basketball.

Academic Achievement Higher Among Most Active Kids - Vigorous Physical Activity Linked To Better Grades. American College of Sports Medicine: Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 10 August 2006: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. 14 March 2008 <http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/49250.php>

3 comments:

teacher09 said...

Thanks Otis. Good article.

nadolyn smith said...

I agree with this article. I think that students need to exercise to stimulate their brains. Too much sitting in front of the tv has really casued damage to todays kids. I have 2 small kids and I try to get them outside at home as much as possible.

Kelvin Stills said...

I believe exercise is beneficial to everyone. Personally, I feel like I can climb Mount Everest after I come from the gym.


www.ncsl.org/programs/health/perequirement.jpg